Friday, October 9, 2015

TUSHIES BEWARE

WOW, WOW, WOW

For those of us who are extremely sensitive to gluten whether it is ingested or simply touched BEWARE we now have to worry about what we wipe our tushies with. 

A few months ago, I had a reaction to construction materials, while my kitchen was being redone. I was sick for over 8 weeks and was determined to find out what the cause of this severe gluten reaction was. As I researched construction materials and gluten, I came across an article that suggested that a "company" had figured out how to use straw to make toilet paper, paper towels.

Truthfully, I never thought about what "straw" is but the article intrigued me so I did some digging.  According to dictionary.com, straw is: "a single stalk or stem of a certain species of grain, chiefly wheat, rye, oats and barley."   So many questions started racing through my mind:.
            What is straw used for? 
            Am I exposed to straw on a regular basis and don't know it?
            Does this explain my strange skin reactions? 
            Etc, etc, etc ............

I recently found an article from the 
Associated Press, written by Roxana Hegeman about wheat straw and paper products. The article stated that Kimberly-Clark Professionals would be using straw in it's environmentally friendly line called, Green Harvest

Green Harvest: Toilet Paper and Paper Towels Contains Wheat Straw
Kimberly-Clark,under the brand Scott,developed the line called Green Harvest which will use 20% plant fiber including wheat straw and bamboo for its commercial toilet paper and  paper towels. This will reduce the use of tree fiber by 20% and give the wheat farmers a possible additional source of revenue. I am in full support of any company that tries to be environmentally conscious. BUT this one is scary for people who can not touch gluten without a reaction, like me.

Scott, Green Harvest Line: Contains Wheat Straw
Currently, these products will only be sold to commercial businesses such as stores and restaurants.


                                   BUT   Tushies Beware.
                                                    




References:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/straw?s=t
Hegeman, Roxana, Associated Press, Paper Towels, Toilet Paper latest use for Wheat Straw., April11, 2015 http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-paper-towels-toilet-tissue-latest-uses-for-wheat-straw-20150411-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment