Sunday, March 2, 2014

Benefits of Bone Broth #2

I have been eating/drinking bone broth now, for several weeks. I have felt a change. Though detoxing has its rumblings and some discomfort, I am clear that these minor side effects are leading to a healthy gut. A healthy gut means a healthier me. 
The most nutritious broth is bone broths. This broth is filled with nutrients, iron, calcium etc that are easy to absorb and probiotics that help heal the gut.
I made a chicken broth and beef broth. I do not eat beef often and brisket is the only red meat I have cooked years, so buying oxtail, knuckle ones and marrow bones and chicken feet was a little out of my wheel house. Sure hope it tastes okay. It soaks for 2 hours and then brews for 18 -24 hours.
I was told to cook the first batch for 8 hours. The longer you cook it the more is released and, I was told to start slowly. My last batched cooked for 22 hours.

If you do not want to make this yourself there may be someone in your area making these broths:

Southern Orange County, CA Area: How To Heal a Cowboy?
Northern California, Berkeley Area: Three Stone Hearth 
Weston A Price Foundation is the place to search in other areas.
 
For more information about the benefits of bone broth here are a few sites:
The GAPS diet (gut and physiology) is being used all over the world to help people heal their gut issues.
 
Living Healthy n Happy is a wonderful blog filled with valuable information about the GAPs diet, fermented foods etc.   
Wellnessmama has a good tutorial on how to make bone broth. The photo below is from her tutorial. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment