Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Eating Gluten-Free in Sedona, AZ

My husband and I joined friends in Sedona for a glorious week of fun, relaxation, and food. We stayed in a condo equipped with a refrigerator, microwave and stove, allowing us the possibility of preparing our own food when we wanted to. Sedona has a full assortment of gluten-free products in all the grocery stores.  Our plan was to prepare our own food for breakfast and lunch and eat out for dinner.

For me, eating out is extremely stressful. Combined with my restricted diet (gluten, soy, and dairy), I have anaphylaxis food allergies to celery, mango, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and pistachio nuts. 

Before going out to eat, I always do my homework. I go online and check out the options. I review the menu and then call the restaurant to ask questions. I make sure I call during off hours and speak to someone of authority. Once I feel assured that I can eat at the establishment, I make reservations.

Even with all my preparation, I ran into problems in 2 out of the 4 places we ate at.My experiences eating out in Sedona were exactly what those who deal with this issue would accept. Someplace where great, while other places were iffy. (being kind)



Sedona gluten-free style
Day 1: We went to Picazzo's which is known for it's gluten-free food. We went at 6pm and there was a 1 hour and 45 minute wait, so we left. Since we were with friends I decided to go along with them to a restaurant they recommended. I figured I eat a salad if I had to.

We went to a restaurant called Relics, known for its steaks. The decor fits the name perfectly. The main dining room was warm and romantic with fireplaces adding a soft glow of light. We were seated in the bar area because we didn't have reservations. The feeling in the bar was very rustic and transported us back to the wild, wild west days. As you can see from the picture below, it had an interesting theme.

Mr. Elk

My Elk stared at me throughout the meal. I should have realized that he was saying, watch out you are in for a surprise. I talked with the server in detail about my food needs. I ordered a potato encrusted salmon with steamed vegetables. She went in the back and spoke to the chef (the main chef was off that night).  She came back and told me all was good.

So imagine my surprise when she delivered everyone's gorgeous meals and I got a 14 inch plate with a piece of salmon on it. NOTHING ELSE.  The server informed me that the chef couldn't figure out how to make the potatoes or steam veggies without butter. I was very upset but stayed calm so I would not ruin everyone's meal. I asked for a salad and was brought a basic salad to go with my bland salmon.
(The owner came by after the meal and Richard told him what happened. He apologized and took 10% of the whole ticket.) Please note everyone else really enjoyed their meal. 

Day 2: OUR 5 STAR MEAL
We decided to have an early dinner so we could get into Picazzo's, which doesn't take reservations.  Much to my delight all the pasta dishes are gluten-free and so is the most fantastic GF Focaccia  bread. They were happy to make whatever we wanted GF and dairy-free. 
" Nearly every item on our menu as a gluten-free option available. In addition, all our pastas, breads, and croutons are gluten-free." Did I mention the food is organic also.


I had Spicy Thai Red Coconut Curry Vegan-Option-Icon ~ Fresh fusilli pasta, chicken, broccoli, green onion, mixed veggies and fresh basil, topped with almonds. 

 Richard ordered: Uncle Louie’s Favorite ~ Fresh fusilli pasta, Italian sausage, roasted red and yellow bell pepper, caramelized onion, free-range turkey Bolognese.



The food was outstanding. The focaccio bread is soft and delicious. The pasta was great and the texture was the best I have ever had.  It was a delightful meal. 

The icing on the cake was when the brought the dessert menu and we had options. We shared apple crisp with coconut ice cream. WOW

Day 3: Midday the 4 of us decided to check out Choca Tree for a treat. Choca Tree is known for: All of our menu items are homemade with 100% organic produce, free of dairy, soy, GMO's and processed sugar.  I had a Vegan double chocolate, gluten-free cake. I really enjoyed it. My friends were less excited about their faux coffee and vegan treats. I believe you have to known vegan food to appreciate it.


Day 3: Dinner  
Mexican fare was requested by the group. We were told to try El Rincon's. I called and spoke with the host, who in turn spoke with the manager and chef. I was most concerned with hidden celery in the food but was assured there would not be any problems. We made reservations for a 5 pm dinner so that I could be sure that the server would be able to focus on my concerns but when we got there it was packed. This always makes me nervous. The server didn't speak good English so I asked for the manager. After the manager spoke to the kitchen staff, I was told I could not eat the rice, beans or 3/4 of the menu due to celery. The other 1/4 had dairy or gluten, so they made me fish tacos on corn tortillas and a basic salad. I couldn't even eat the salsa or chips. Once again, I eat a boring, small meal while everyone else indulged in fabulous food. 

I started to feel sorry for myself, so I decided the next night (New Years Eve and my friend's birthday) I would not be going out with everyone else. I had already paid $25 for a piece of salmon with salt and pepper and $20 for 2 small fish tacos so the $135 price ticket for a News Year Eve meal I couldn't eat was just not flying with me. I tactfully shared this with my friends and asked them to please go enjoy themselves.

My dear friends came back to me and told me they wouldn't celebrate without Richard or I.  They decided we should order take out from Picazzo's and went to a mutual friends vacation home to celebrate. The food was once again great and the company was even better.
Picazzo's in Sedona Arizona

I would take the 7 1/2 hour drive to Sedona just to eat at Picazzo's again.

Photos for Picazzo Food: daretoblog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment