Friday, November 21, 2014

Scrumptious Gluten-Free Coffee Cake by eZG

I was given a sample package of Authentic Foods: Multi Blend: Gluten-Free Flour at a convention. I put it in the pantry on my gluten-free baking shelf. Yes, I have a 3 foot shelf dedicated to all the GF flours, mixes and products that I use to bake. Over time the package got pushed to the back and forgotten.

This past Sunday, I discovered it wedged against some organic brown sugar. My daughter was home for a visit, so I decided it would be a good time to try something new. I used the recipe from the back of the package, Sour Cream Coffee Cake. I did my thing by replacing the sour cream with goat yogurt and the shortening with Earth Balance, etc. All I have to say is WOW! 

I think this may be the best gluten-free baked good I have ever made. 



Recipe: 
Cake Ingredients:
1/2 cup of Earth Balance or shortening
3/4 cup Organic Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 cups of Multi Blend Gluten-Free Flour
1/2 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups of sour cream OR yogurt (plain, goat or coconut)
Topping Ingredients:
6 tablespoons of Earth Balance or butter
1 cup organic brown sugar
2 tsps of cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Instructions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter or oil the spring pan or 10 inch tube pan. Place parchment paper on the bottom.  
3. In a large bowl, beat Earth Balance or butter and sugar until pale in color and light in texture.
4. Add vanilla, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Soft flour, guar gum, baking powder, baking soda, in a medium bowl.
6. Add mix to creamed mixture alternating with yogurt or sour cream. Blend after each addition.
7. Spread 1/2 the batter in the prepared pan. 
8. Using a pastry blender or fork, combine the topping ingredients ( brown sugar, Earth Balance or butter, cinnamon, and nuts (optional), in a medium bowl.
9. Sprinkle 1/2 the topping mixture on top of the batter in the pan. Next, add the rest of the batter on top of the topping. Now add the rest of the topping so that it makes a delicious crust.
10. Bake 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
11. Allow the cake to cool 15 minutes before inverting and putting on a cooling rack. I used a spring pan so I wait 15 minutes then released the outer ring to the pan so it could cool completely.








Check out the Authentic Foods website for more delicious recipes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment