Monday, June 2, 2014

Conte's Pasta: Gluten-Free Pizza Crust

I am always on the search for a good pre-made pizza crust. Udi's frozen pizza crust is not bad and often my "go to" pizza crust because it is so accessible and reasonably priced. I really like Whole Foods gluten-free pizza crust made from rice flour and found in the refrigerator section.  It is relatively smaller than Udi's and not in stock all the time but I like the taste better than Udi's.

Today I found Conte's gluten-free frozen pizza crust at Mother's Market so I decided to give it a try. The ingredients are: rice flour, water, corn starch, whole eggs, sugar, salt, xanthan gum, tapioca detrin, sodium alginate, guar gum, baking powder, canola oil, yeast. There are several ingredients I would not normally cook with or eat. 

Conte's Pasta Gluten-Free Pizza Crust






I prepared caramelized onions, sauteed spinach with garlic, BBQ chicken with homemade GF BBQ sauce, pesto, and goat cheese to create the pizza's with.

As I pulled the pizza out of the oven, they appeared to have browned nicely. Next would be the  taste test. 

The crust did not make the grade in my husband's or my opinion. The taste and texture was much more like a biscuit cracker than pizza dough. As I was eating the pizza, I was imagining using this pizza dough for a dessert pizza such as an apple pie pizza. They are reasonably priced and a little larger than the Udi's but I did not feel like I was eating a pizza.


No comments:

Post a Comment