Friday, April 18, 2014

Green Pea Pesto - A Great Find

Photo by Bon Appetit
The fresh flavor of mint combined with the earthy flavor of green peas makes for a delightful pesto. 

I wanted to make a pizza last night using Udi's Gluten-free pizza crust but I did not have any sauce for it. What I did have was a bag of Organic Frozen Peas. So I went on line and found the  Bon Appetit site.They had an article, 10 Things to Do with Frozen Peas by  Written by Teri Tsang Barrett.

The first recipe was Green Peas and Mint Pesto. I thought, why not give it a try. Richard and I are so glad I did. The texture and flavor were excellent. The mint gave the pizza a pop of freshness. All and all, it was one of my favorite pesto alternatives and a great pizza,


GREEN PEAS AND MINT PESTO (modified for our dietary needs)
  • Serves   Cook Time   Total Time    Prep Time
    6-8   5 minutes   10 minutes    5 minutes
     

    Ingredients

         frozen organic peas
        1 tbsp  mint leaves
        grated goat cheese ( I use Gouda)
        garlic clove
        black pepper to taste
        salt to taste
        olive oil
        lemon juice (optional)
  • Instructions

    1. Steam frozen peas until al dente.
    2. In a blender or food processor combine frozen peas, mint leaves, grated cheese, garlic and black pepper.
    3. With the machine on, add olive oil through the feed tube until the pesto is smooth, combined and thickened to the desired consistency.
    4. Add salt and lemon juice to taste
 ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment