Saturday, March 29, 2014

My Food Allergies!

Food allergies: I have had them for years. The 1st to surface was sunflower seeds. I was in my early 20's when I had a reaction to them. Since then I had stirred clear, so I was not sure if I was really allergic to them until a couple of weeks ago...

While I was at the Expo, I received samples of the new gluten-free and dairy-free Zing bars. One was a Double Brownie and the other Dark Chocolate Mint Bar or that is what the package said. Sometime the next week I ate the bars.I usually have 1/2 at time, so I ate them over a few days.

During the week the roof of my mouth was itchy and so were the palm of my hands. For me, this is the 1st signs of an allergic reaction so I pulled out my Epi Pen, took natural allergy medicine and prayed. I never needed the Epi Pen and it subsided but returned again several times over the next few days. I had no idea what had caused this small reaction since I am usually extreme careful.

I was doing the post on protein bars and went to the Zing website to capture photos when I saw that the mint bar had a different label. Dark Chocolate Sunflower Mint. I did a little research and it has sunflower seed butter as the 5th ingredient as well as sunflower oil and sunflower lecithin.
 
Stay Safe.

1 comment: