Monday, January 27, 2014

The Road Trip

As we left Ashland, Or, I wondered if we would find another town that was so gluten-free friendly. It was such a pleasure to know that almost any eatery there would accommodate our needs.

We drove down the 5 freeway south towards Sacramento. Since we had just done this trip going north, we were well aware that we would need to bring food with us, as there is no place safe to eat on this stretch of the road. We had a hearty breakfast in Ashland, so this was not a problem. 

We then took the 505 fwy south to the 80 freeway through Berkeley and down to San Bruno. Our dear friends live in San Bruno and they need to go GF for health reasons. The next two days would I would wear the GF consultant cap as well as the friend cap. 

After I helped them clean out their pantry, refrigerator and freezer, we went shopping for replacement foods.My plan was for us to cook, so they could get comfortable with GF replacements. I brought some of my own pots and pans with me so I could teach them to cook GF and I would be assured that I would not get glutened. I, also, made them both chicken and beef bone broth.

That night we went to " Off the Grid" which is a group of food trucks that travel around the area. My friend was excited for us to go because they have a GF truck. Unfortunately, the GF truck did not show that night.In some ways this was a good thing because I got to take them to each truck and discuss what was in the foods and why most of them were not GF. 

The next stop was in Scotts Valley, a small town near Santa Cruz. My friend, Wendy's, mother, brother and mother-in law have Celiac Disease. Needless to say, Wendy gets what it means to live GF. Whenever I am in Scotts Valley I go to a Cambodian Restaurant called Jia Tella's. 
The food is wonderful and the hostess has family that have Celiacs so she was very helpful. 

The ride down the 101 fwy south was easy. We made sandwiches for the car though San Luis Obispo has may GF options, we decided not to stop because we just wanted to get home.

We are now safely home and I can relax about what and where to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment