Sunday, January 12, 2014

Benefits of Bone Broth


I made bone broth yesterday for the first time, for my friend who just had surgery to remove stomach cancer. My friend is now home and can only eat broth for 2 weeks. The most nutritious broth is bone broths. This broth is filled with nutrients, iron, calcium etc that are easy to absorb and probiotics that help heal the gut.
I made a chicken broth and beef broth. I do not eat beef often and brisket is the only red meat I have cooked years, so buying oxtail, knuckle ones and marrow bones and chicken feet was a little out of my wheel house. Sure hope it tastes okay. It soaks for hours and then brews for 8-18 more. 
I was told to cook the first batch for 8 hours. The longer you cook it the more is released and since this person is just out of surgery, I was told to start slowly.
 
For more information about the benefits of bone broth here are a few sites:
The GAPS diet (gut and physiology) is being used all over the world to help people heal their gut issues.
 
Living Healthy n Happy is a wonderful blog filled with valuable information about the GAPs diet, fermented foods etc.   
Wellnessmama has a good tutorial on how to make bone broth. The photo below is from her tutorial. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment