Monday, December 9, 2013

Party Challenges

I went to a party this weekend and  much to my surprise, I had a wonderful food experience. Before going I found out what restaurant was catering the event. I called the Blue Agave Southwest Grill in Yorba Linda, CA. to discuss my found allergies including gluten. 

I spoke with a very nice woman who was well informed on the subject of allergies and the ingredients in the food. The owner does not eat gluten and therefore the catering menu is gluten-free except the chips which are fried in the same fryer as gluten items on the in-house menu. I went to the party feeling confident I could eat some of the food (I have other allergies, so some food was not okay for me).

Once faced with the buffet, I got nervous about the other allergies but was quickly assured. The lead restaurant person there knew exactly what was in every item. The food was delicious and for the 1st time in a very long time, I was able to eat at party and a buffet line. It felt so "normal" and different all at the same time.

Before going to a party or event I suggest:
1. Call the event planner and find out what food is being served.
2. If the food is being catered, then find out where.
3. Call the restaurant or catering service during off hours (so they are not so busy) and talk to them about your food needs. You will know quickly if you can feel confident you will get accurate answers;
                    By the tone of their voice 
                    Whether or not they hesitate when you ask questions.   

 4. If the food is being made by the host, then discuss the menu and ask appropriate questions. 
5. You may need to be prepared not to eat anything at the party or event so plan to bring something to hold you over. 


Be safe in your food decisions so you can enjoy yourself and stay healthy.








No comments:

Post a Comment