Thursday, December 4, 2014

I am Frustrated With Dermatologists!

I am Frustrated With Dermatologists!

Marian's eye with Seborrheic Dermatitis
I have skin issues; itchy scaly spots near my eyes, in my ears and on my elbows. These annoying spots come and go. They are itchy and irritating.  I have been trying to get answers for several years. I usually get the typical answer that it is eczema yet eczema is not caused by allergic reactions. Today I was told that it is Seborrheic Dermatitis. Have you ever heard of "cradle cap"? Well, this is the adult version of it.
(Cradle Cap is a condition that infants get. The baby's scalp becomes flaky and scaly. For a complete definition please click here.)


Seborrheic Dermatitis
According to my new dermatologist's handout, "Seborrheic Dermatitis is a benign skin disorder which can be considered widespread severe dandruff. It generally appears as red flaky, sometimes itchy patches of skin. Commonly this involves any or all of the following areas: scalp, eyebrows, nasal creases, the ears and chin..." " Recent information suggests that seborrhea may be related to an allergic reaction to yeast organisms normally found on the skin."

The frustration comes when the doctor prescribes medication and creams without the slightest knowledge or concern with my gluten sensitivity.  It has happened before with different doctors so I should not be surprised. Yet it still angers me. I have been doing research and the medication appears safe but the creams are not. I used the internet and then went to my book, Is Gluten Hiding in Your Shampoo? to look up all the chemical names for gluten found in personal care products and medications. When are these doctors going to learn about gluten and the affects on the skin.

I do not plan to start with the medication because I prefer to try natural remedies first. Now that I have a place to start,  natural remedies may just work. Anyone out there have any suggestions for a natural way to try to cure this?

Photo found at: http://www.health-writings.com/seborrheic-dermatitis-face_9379/

No comments:

Post a Comment