Saturday, August 2, 2014

Blueberry & Lime Zest Coconut Ice Cream

During the sweltering days of summer, ice cream is a delightful relief. My family is all dairy-free so I have been creating unique coconut ice cream recipes. I wanted to make ice cream yesterday so I looked around the kitchen to see what flavor I could create. 

There were fresh blueberries and lots of limes. 
 
Blueberry/ Lime Zest Coconut Ice Cream     







I served this over homemade gluten-free, dairy-free banana muffins. ( I used my banana bread recipe and reduced the bananas from 3 to 1 1/2 so the muffins would not be overly moist. )

I want to tell you - this was so good. The lime zest added just the right acidity to a sweet, fresh tasting ice cream. The combination of the bananas in the muffins and the blueberry-lime was incredible.

RECIPE:

Ingredients: 
1 (14 ounce) can of full fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons of honey
2 egg yolks
1 cup blueberries
Zest if 1 small lime

Instructions:
1. Place coconut milk, honey, blueberries and lime zest  in a blender or food processor and   
    combine.
2. Pour the mixture into a sauce pan over medium heat. Add egg yolks and whisk constantly. 
    Bring to a low boil. Just as the mixture begins to boil take it off the heat and let it cool. 
3. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.,
4. Following the directions from your ice cream maker, place mixture in ice cream maker and 
    churn. 
5. Serve or freeze. 
 

Flavor:
I add 1 cup of whatever I am in the mood to create.
It could be fruit, crumbled GF cookies,  cookie dough (miss the eggs) etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment