Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Favorite Summer Quinoa Recipe

I got such a great response to the quinoa recipe I posted on Facebook last week that I thought you might like to have my favorite quinoa recipe. Though I did not create this recipe, I have made it many times, each time with slight variations depending on my mood. 

The recipe was first featured March 2012 in Delicious Living magazine, by Lisa Turner.

Lemony Quinoa Tabbouleh
eZ Gluten-Free Life in the Kitchen

1 cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
Juice 1/2 lemon (approx. 2 tablespoons)
1 large garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Cayenne pepper to taste

I add salt and pepper to taste. I have added Greek olives, carrots, raisins, etc. to enhance the experience. 

 

Quinoa Tabbouleh: Lemon & Mandarin Oranges

 Instructions:
1. Combine quinoa and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover. 
    Cook over medium-low for 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.             2. Transfer quinoa to a plate or cookie sheet to cool.
3. Combine parsley, scallions, tomatoes, and mint i n a medium bowl; stir in cooled quinoa.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and garlic. Add in olive oil, and season to taste. 
5. Pour dressing over the quinoa mixture and toss well. 

Note:
This recipe stores well in the refrigerator and is great for picnics and potlucks.   
I now use the 1 1/2 cups water/ 1 cup quinoa ratio whenever I cook quinoa because of the light, fluffy results.


Serves 4/ Gluten-Free/ Vegan/ Simple


1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy, wish I could have enough time to cook these delicious recipes. I have to rely on services like Activeats for my meals.

    ReplyDelete