Friday, June 27, 2014

The Healing Process

The human body is such an amazing thing. It has the ability to heal itself, if we give it the time and support to do so. A muscle tears and if we catch it before it is to big, then with rest  and supplements the body will and does heal itself. I am very grateful that I am in the healing process. 
The Healing Process

I tore my bicep, 1 month ago, helping a friend move. At 1st I thought I had just done too much and that the pain and aches would subside. One week later, I called my chiropractor for an appointment. My upper rib was out, my muscles were very tight, my neck and back needed an adjustment, and I had a terrible pain in my shoulder. My chiropractor did some work and taped me up with kinesio tape. I left with strict instructions not to use my right arm and take certain supplements. There was concerns that I injured my rotator cuff. She told me if it got worse to call the orthopedic doctor so I could get an MRI and/or x-rays.

The pain increased over the weekend so I made an appt. with the orthopedic doctor. After the exam and x-rays he said the injury was to my bicep and not my rotator cup. I was extremely relieved since most bicep tears do not require surgery.

I consider myself a strong woman, both physically and emotionally. I rarely think of my age because I feel young both physically and mentally. Then something happens like a torn bicep accompanied with pain like I have not experienced in a very long time and I begin to question myself. 
I asked myself several questions:
  • Am I getting to old to help someone move? 
  • Why did I push myself so hard that day?
  • Why did I wait a week to do anything about the pain? Ego or fear?
  • The questions went on and on.

Finally armed with answers about my injury, I was able to regroup and start healing. For example, I am typing this with both hands. This is a first in 4 weeks.  Yes, I will have to icy/heat when I am done but that is a small price to pay for healing. 

I wake up everyday with a noticeable improvement. I have more flexibility, better range of motion and my arm is stronger. I say stronger but that lets be clear, I can now carry a napkin from point A to point B.

I can not help but wonder how long the healing process would have taken 4 years ago, before I knew I had Hashimoto's, Leaky Gut,  and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive. I believe it would have taken far longer and been much worse.

I am so grateful for all the love and support I have received during this process.  My friends and family have been such great help especially my husband who has had to do all the cleaning, cooking, dishes, laundry, etc.

It feels fabulous to be posting again. I will need time to regroup since I could not do research during this time but I promise to get back in the rhythm as soon as possible.

photo by scenicreflections.com

No comments:

Post a Comment